How many future listings are bubbling away in your database, right now? How many homeowners are tossing around plans to sell?
Statistics tell us that, on average, one in every 24 homes will sell this year. In a database of 500 homeowners, that’s 20 listings.
Will those 20 homeowners remember to call you? Now is the perfect time to make sure they do.
You Scratch My Back & I’ll Scratch Yours
There’s a gelato stand at my local Farmers Market. Every Saturday morning they hand out hundreds of samples on small wooden spoons. It’s a sales technique called Using the Power of Reciprocation. Once I’ve had a taste, I feel obligated to buy; you’ve probably come across the same when taste testing a new product at the supermarket. It’s human nature. When someone gives you something for free you feel obligated to reciprocate.
Make An Added Value Phone Call to Everyone On Your Database
Here’s how to use the power of reciprocation as part of your real estate marketing: to make a friendly, added value phone call that offers entry into a prizedraw so your past buyers, sellers and appraisals are delighted to hear from you.
If you continue to stay in touch regularly (I recommend with a monthly print or email newsletter) when it is time to sell, they’ll be more likely to remember you warmly and want to return the favour by giving you the listing.
Offer Entry into a Prizedraw
Here’s a sample script using the power of reciprocation to phone your database:
Standout From Your Competitors
This approach makes you standout from your competitors because it:
- Gives you a reason to call (without being an annoying salesperson just looking for the sale).
- Reminds homeowners you are the local area expert, are still actively selling and care enough to stay in touch even when there is no transaction in progress.
- Adds value to your future client which strengthens your relationship, meaning they’re more likely to call you instead of your competitor when it is time to sell.
How to Easily Ask, “Are You Thinking of Selling?”
For our clients who already send a monthly print or email newsletter to their database, the approach can be slightly modified to raise the, “Are you thinking of selling?” question without actually asking it.
This starts the, “Are you thinking of selling?” conversation in a very natural and friendly way without you actually needing to ask the question. If they are thinking of selling, they’re very likely to mention it at this point.
When appropriate, continue with:
Don’t have a database? Or don’t keep in touch with the people on it?
You’re losing tens of thousands of dollars in lost opportunity every year. There’s never been a better time to fix that than NOW.
Database Action Plan
- Have you got a list? If not, start today.
- Review who is on your list. Who else could you add? As well as the obvious – buyers, sellers, past appraisals – how about your friends, family, suppliers, everyone you know?
- Have you got email addresses for everyone on your list? Are they up-to-date? Call everyone on your list to check. Make it an added value call and use the power of reciprocation by offering entry into a prizedraw.
- Have people on your list forgotten about you? During lockdown, people have time to talk. Now is the perfect time for a friendly call and to start sending a monthly newsletter so you never lose another listing because you didn’t stay in touch.
Too Busy? Need Professional Help to Get Repeat Sales & Referrals?
Book your free 15 minute marketing review to find out if the Personal Promotion Powerhouse is a good fit for your business.